Unlike the oversized, overstuffed tacos found at many fast-food places, authentic Mexican tacos consist mainly of chopped onion, cilantro, meat and salsa on a warm corn tortilla. This recipe simply substitutes beef, chicken, or pork with the low-fat, protein-packed, organic goodness of wild game! Additionally, I’ll share two different styles of delicious salsa for your tacos to choose from. Let’s get started!
Serving size: 4 people
- 2lbs Venison (whole muscle or ground)
- 1 Onion
- 10-12 Tomatillos
- 8-10 Chile Serrano
- 1 Avacado
- Minced Garlic
- 1 lime
- Salt & pepper
- Garlic powder
- Corn tortillas
Step #1 -Harvest some venison!
Step #2 -Finely chop onions and cilantro and place in small separate serving bowls
Step #3 –Cut venison into small cubes. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cumin (optional) and brown in frying pan with olive oil. (Ground venison can also be used instead of cubed whole-muscle meat.) Keep warm until serving.
Step #4 -Prepare Salsa
- Peel tomatillos
- Slice ¼ onion
- Remove stems from chile serrano
- Add ¼ teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- Roast all together in frying pan until soft and mix in a blender
- Serve half of the salsa verde mixture as is and use the other half to make guacamole salsa
- Add 1 avocado and 1 freshly squeezed lime the remaining to salsa verde mixture and blend thoroughly
Step #5 –Dip tortillas in a mixture of water and olive oil, warm up in frying pan, and keep warm until serving.
Step #6 –Serve and enjoy!
(Stay up to date on new blog posts and media by subscribing to our newsletter. Go to the bottom of the home page or the sidebar of this blog and sign up today!)